Last Updated on
Personal injury claims are the most common forms of injury-based cases. In situations like this, it isn’t straightforward to understand where to start and the right approach to follow. The depth of personal injury laws is vast, and it is best to approach a proper personal injury lawyer to guide in these situations. Personal injury lawyers will advise you appropriately to claim for personal injury if you had an accident at work, injured through a road accident, or someone else’s negligence.
To make a successful personal injury claim, you need to prove that your sustained injuries are a result of a particular accident. Or else there should be proof of someone else’s negligence. With the help of personal injury lawyers, you can argue your case and work to win you compensation. Seeking advice from professionals such as Law Advice will make you confident and comfortable. It is also vital to be upfront with the lawyer with every bit of information relevant to the accident and evidence around it, as this will impact your claim in the long run.
The claim evidence should include:
- Photographs of the accident site
- Damages to your personal property
- Doctors medical bills and case history reports
- Witnesses from the site
- Photos of your injuries
- Fir report from a police station
Steps to undertake:
- First and foremost, seek medical help after the event if you are injured.
- Collect evidence and information about the injury.
- Note every detail of the accident.
- File for an FIR and keep the report safe.
- Track medical forms, relevant medical bills, and expenses along with duplicates
- Gather information about witnesses.
Can a person claim for someone else?
- You can claim for a family member who is below 18 years of age.
- For a deceased family member
- For a family member injured in a fatal accident
Examples of personal injuries that can be claimed for compensation:
- Work-Related Injuries:
Damages that care caused during work due to negligence can be claimed for personal injury compensation. If the injury is caused due to work machinery or chemicals that worsened pre-existing medical conditions, you can stake a claim in this category.
- Public Liability Injuries:
If your injury took place in a public space, by falling from an escalator, got hit by falling rooftop, or you managed to slip in a supermarket, etc., you are eligible for public liabilities compensation, which comes under personal injuries claims.
- Motor Vehicle Injuries:
The most common injury eligible for compensation is motor vehicle injury. Injuries to your head spinal cord, loss of mobility, or severe burns are examples of injuries that one can look for payment in a personal injury scheme.
Types of Compensation and Claims:
- Loss of past and future earnings
- Time off work
- Past and future medical treatments and expenses
- Salary of the caretaker or a nurse in case of severity
- Cost of care and domestic assistance
- Home modification expenses
- Loss of personal belongings
Timeframes to Apply
You need to submit your claim within a general period of 3 years since your accident, or else your claim will get void. If your injury resulted from unsafe working practices or discrimination at work, you need to contact your trade union authority personnel who can defend you to gain a claim.
There is no shortcut for this process, but by taking consultation from any personal injury lawyer, it will be easier to make a successful claim. Consult a solicitor who is a member of the personal injury accreditation scheme and who specializes in personal injuries work. They will guide you properly and give access to rehabilitation, medical support, and financial compensation through this claim process.